Italian Christmas Cookies - soft cookie balls drenched in an almond glaze and sprinkled with colored jimmies! Big batch recipe perfect for holiday cookie trays and gift giving!
- 6 eggs
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 3-3/4 cups confectioner's sugar
- ½ cup warm milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- colored sprinkles
- Using a heavy-duty mixer, beat eggs on high speed until light and foamy, about 5 minutes; set aside in a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, confectioners' sugar and baking powder; on low speed, gradually beat in shortening and extracts until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Gradually add beaten eggs (dough will be stiff).Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes (tops of the cookies will not brown, but bottoms should brown slightly).Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the confectioner's sugar, milk and extracts until smooth. As soon as cookies are removed from the oven, quickly dip two or three at a time into glaze. Remove with a slotted spoon or tongs. Place on wire racks to drain. Immediately top with sprinkles. Let dry for 24 hours before storing in airtight containers.